Getting a good nights sleep will help you to be happier, more productive person. Here are just a few tips to help you get a good nights sleep. - MJ
1. Avoid drinking tea or coffee late at night.
2. Stop smoking! Nicotine is a stimulant, and so it can make it difficult to get to sleep and stay asleep.
3. Go to bed at the same time each night. Set a routine.
4. Only use the bed for sleeping and sex.
5. Use dimmers on your light switches, and dim the lights in the hours before you go to bed to mimic the change from daylight to night time.
6. Avoid taking exercise in the evening - exercise early in the day to promote restful sleep.
7. Try using affirmations, such as: "I let go of the day, and enjoy restful, peaceful sleep" repeated several times while you prepare for sleep.
8. If you can’t get to sleep after a while, get up keeping the lights low and do something boring, like forcing yourself to read, until you feel sleepy..
9. Alcohol may help you get to sleep, but you are more likely to wake up during the night feeling thirsty and looking for the bathroom.
10. Try relaxed breathing: breathe slowly and deeply, concentrating on your abdomen rather than your chest.
11. Try holding your frontal eminences (the bumps on your forehead, about half way between your eyebrows and hairline) if you are awake because of stress.
12. Avoid paying bills, and similar things just before sleep.
13. Try a herbal tea - chamomile, passion flower, lavender flowers or valerian are good, or take a herbal supplement such as scullcap or valerian.
14. Try taking supplements - magnesium and calcium work well.
15. Sleep problems can be a sign of an underlying medical condition (e.g. thyroid problems or depression), so get this checked out with a suitably qualified health professional.